8 Mar 2011

[Tau] Army list building

When I do my Tau lists I have a pre-written unit list beside that I call my "cheat sheet". This is a list of all the common units I'm likely to field with their wargear written beside them. It lets me quickly write down potential lists, (It has to be pen and paper for me!) and also stops me flicking back and forth between the pages of the codex, picking the book up and down all the time.


For example:

Deathrain Shas'el (basic) - 73  ................................Twin linked missile pod, target lock.
Fireknive Squad (3 man) - 186 ................................Plasma Rifle, missile pod, multi tracker.

For things like the Fireknives I also have the values of 2 squads and 3 squads (373 & 558) written beside them. After a while I end up with just a page of numbers. In my head I know the wargear costs, so I can quickly start adding or removing items based on what role I have in mind for a unit, or what I feel I need or can loose to to free up or send those last points on.

With Grey Knights around the corner and the potential of Necrons being the next army. I've re-structured my Tau to counter these threats I've got plenty of split fire if required, will be able to pop light transports like bubbles and can deny movement with the best of them. This is my list for 2011 and I'm going to play the shit out of it.
Sorry, this appears to be someone else's army list..

73 - Deathrain Shas'el - Twin Linked Missile Pod, Target Lock
73 - Deathrain Shas'el - Twin Linked Missile Pod, Target Lock
141 - 3 Man Deathrain Crisis Suit team - Twin Linked Missile Pods, Flamer
186 - 3 Man Fireknife Crisis Suit team - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker
186 - 3 Man Fireknife Crisis Suit team - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker
155 - 6 Man Firewarrior team, with Devilfish Transport - Multi Tracker, Disruption Pods, Gun Drones
70 - 10 Man Cannon Fodder Kroot Screen
70 - 10 Man Cannon Fodder Kroot Screen
75 - Piranha - Fusion Blaster, Disruption Pod, Targeting Array
75 - Piranha - Fusion Blaster, Disruption Pod, Targeting Array
75 - Piranha - Fusion Blaster, Disruption Pod, Targeting Array
200 - 2  Man Broadside team - Team Lead, Target Lock, Advanced Stabilizing System, 2 x Shield Drones
200 - 2  Man Broadside team - Team Lead, Target Lock, Advanced Stabilizing System, 2 x Shield Drones
165 - Hammerhead Gunship - Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Disruption Pods

1744 Points

The Deathrain commanders join the Fireknive teams, the Hammerhead is there purely for the submunition rounds. If I have to solid slug with it, things are desperate with all the other anti armour I have. I'll be using this list to learn how to block and screen. It has all the other components to win, I just need to make it win. I think this is as complete a list as I can write.
(In saying that I've just noticed Sneakydan's Centurion list here and think I need to look more into the 5 x 2 Crisis suit option. Mmmmmm msu. A very nice idea from VT2)

Over the weekend I got my Firewarriors and Fireknive team painted. My mum and step dad visit me this weekend so I'll try and get pictures up the following week of the army progress.


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More